Friday, September 19, 2008

Boot's

If you've ever been to England, I'm sure you've heard of Boot's Pharmacy, i.e. the pharmacy on crack. Why crack? I don't know, you'll have to ask the person who said that to me. 

Anyway, while I was there studying this past summer, I, in all my wisdom, decided I didn't want a meal plan (who wants to eat Cambridge dorm food anyway?) so I was forced to, every day for two months, go hunt down 2 meals "in town". 

This is where Boot's comes in. Boot's, unlike the famed CVS or Walgreens, has sandwiches (and a better name, if you ask me). Not only are these sandwiches vegetarian, low-calorie and just all around delicious, but for a measly *gasp* 2.99 pounds, one receives a sandwich (or salad or something else that wasn't worth getting), a "snack" (pineapples with coconut-mango dip for example), AND a drink (diet coke, of course). I was addicted. 

Just like crack. 
Or diet coke. But that's another post. 

So, in an effort to make sure I was able to recreate an exact replica of my pharmacy sandwiches, I ripped the ingredient labels off of all three (there were three vegetarian varieties) and, attempted, rather obsessively, to calculate the exact amount of each ingredient (based on the percentages listed by weight). It didn't go so well. 

But, just in case anyone else wants to try to get the perfect balance, here're the ingredients for one of the more exotic sandwiches:

Thin Lizzie (what a fun name)
bread (obviously)
smoked tofu
chili jam (which is depressingly hard to find, unless, I hear, you live in the south)
rocket (arugula, which very few people at the grocery store can actually identify)
alfalfa sprouts

If anyone ever wants to meet me for lunch to help me figure this out, that would be really great. We'll go to Boot's.



No comments: